Spring term classes are on Thursdays 10.30 – 11.15am from 11th January – 22nd March 2018
“I would describe the class as both, uplifting and relaxing, enjoyable for mums and babies, a chance to exercise appropriately with baby and meet other mums in a relaxed and friendly environment.” Amba Kelly Cooper
At Pavilion Dance we are proud of all of our classes and really believe that they are beneficial for our health and happiness. Our Mum and Baby Yoga class is no different!
We sat down with Amba Kelly Cooper to gain some further insight to her classes and to find out the benefits of mum and baby classes.
Tell us a bit more about yourself and your practice…
I am a mum to a beautiful lively five year old who keeps me on my toes. I love all types of explorative movement and exercise and love moving outside in nature, particularly quiet walks. I have been teaching for 12 years now and practicing for 14 years. I absolutely love what I do and am passionate about yoga for all. My practice is always changing and evolving and encompasses not just the physical aspects of the asanas or yoga postures but a lot on breath awareness, integrative movement and playful exploration. The meditation aspect and developing self awareness has been particularly useful for me in my life. I have also continued to study yoga and every year I add different aspects to my practice to keep me inspired and knowledgeable in my field. This year I completed a further certification in yoga and integrated movement and also updated my knowledge in the post natal area.
What are the benefits and opportunities in your mum and baby class…?
These are numerous:
- Classes provide a gentle introduction back to yoga
- A chance to explore the practice for the first time.
- The chance to focus on restoring connections to the pelvic floor and recovery from birth
- Regain strength
- Mums get a chance to meet other mums and the class provides a lovely focus to bond with baby
- Babies receive gentle massage and basic gentle movement and sensory stimulation
- Calm and relaxing environment
- Classes include relaxation for mums too
- If babies are awake, Amba will do her best to entertain them during this part of the class.
The class is aimed at mums with babies from 6 weeks up to crawling age and sometimes a bit beyond. Mums need to have their 6 week GP check to exercise and may need to wait a little longer (2-3 months) after they have had a section delivery.