View full information along with audio versions and large print here.
We’re looking to support a Dance Company to develop and present a live show for children and their grown-ups at Pavilion Dance in Bournemouth in Autumn 2021.
We’re really interested in ideas that:
- Are suitable for our small-scale, flexible theatre (192 seats without social distancing)
- Are designed for children and their grown-ups (aimed at Key Stage 1 or 2 children i.e. aged 5-7 or 8-11yrs)
- Have an element of interaction with the audience whether in the show itself or through an activity for children and their grown-ups before or after the show
- Have a focus on accessibility and inclusion
- Align with our values
About Pavilion Dance South West
The PDSW vision is that dance touches everyone’s lives. We transform communities through dance by opening doors, holding hands and enabling people to see themselves in all that we do. In our Bournemouth-based venue, we present dance performances, exhibitions and (usually) more than 40 dance classes every week. Our online digital programme launched in 2020. We are a centre of excellence for socially relevant dance with a national reach and have a strong civic role to enhance the quality of life for residents and visitors to Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole.
PDSW Programme Themes: Dancing in the Streets, Digital Dance, Children & Their Grown Ups
Our Values: Kind; Inclusive; Inspiring and Passionate
You are a professional choreographer, dancer or dance company.
You create dance performances in any dance genre e.g. hip hop, Bharatnatyam, contemporary, swing.
You have a special interest in creating shows for children.
You are based in South West England.
We particularly encourage applications from people whose backgrounds and experience are underrepresented within the creative industries, including people who experience racism and d/Deaf and Disabled candidates.
The Show you create:
- Won’t be dependent on other funding to make it happen
- Can be developed over the next few months (we’re open to hear about your timescale)
- Can happen under lockdown restrictions
- Can be created within the commissioning fee that we agree i.e. including rehearsal, set, props and costume costs
- Will involve children of the age you’re creating for in the development process so that you get feedback that helps shape the show
What PDSW can provide:
- Financial support (c. £5,000 but this is open to negotiation)
- Advice (Producing, Technical, Marketing, Education)
- Studio space in Bournemouth for rehearsals (if restrictions allow)
- Technical equipment and support for the show
- Marketing and PR for the show
You can see technical details of our theatre here
What you present:
- Performance/s and activity/ies at Pavilion Dance to take place at dates and times to be agreed between 28 September – 2 October 2021 as part of our Children and Their Grown Ups Showcase.
- Make a short presentation as part of the Festival e.g. pitch your show to other programmers or talk about your concept, process and next steps – details to be agreed
Our process and key dates
- 12noon – 19 February 2021: Deadline for applications
A panel will consider all applications and select two that most meet PDSW’s work as outlined above. The panel will have representation from the freelance community and from different perspectives. Two proposals that the panel think most align with PDSW’s work will be shortlisted.
- 24 February 2021: You’ll hear back about your application. All applicants will hear back and be offered feedback.
- 26 February 2021: Zoom Conversations with the shortlisted applicants (CC available, BSL on request)
- W/C 1 March 2021: One company will be announced as the recipients of our commission.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- What is the work you want to create?
- Who are you? What works have you created before? Where are you based? Web links, images or film trailers of past productions would be helpful if you have these.
- How does the work you want to make fit with our interests and values?
- What is your timeline?
- What are the costs? (break them down so it’s easy to see the whole budget)
- Who are you creating the work for?
- How will you involve children and their grown-ups in the creation process
- How you will make the show interactive (in the show itself or with an activity before or afterwards?)
- What could PDSW offer that would help you?
- Any questions / topics you’d like to talk about further
This can be written (an email or attached proposal of no more than 2 sides of A4), a voice memo, or a video (maximum 5 minutes). Please title your email ‘Autumn 21 Live Commission’.
This will belong to the artist or company and images/film of the work will only be used by PDSW for purposes related to this commission or documentation of our programme.