Get full information along with audio and large print versions here.
We’re looking to support a Dance Company to undertake R&D on Digital work for Children and their grown ups.
We’re really interested in ideas that:
- Are created specifically for Digital
- Are designed for Children and their grown ups (ideally ages 0-7)
- Have a focus on accessibility. Whether that’s inventive audio descriptions, or use of Makaton, you’ll have a real commitment to creating work that serves a wider audience.
- Align with our values – a bit more about those below.
About Pavilion Dance South West:
The PDSW vision is that dance touches everyone’s lives. We transform communities through dance by opening doors, holding hands and enabling people to see themselves in all that we do. In our Bournemouth-based venue, we present dance performances, exhibitions and (usually) more than 40 dance classes every week. Our online digital programme launched in 2020. We are a centre of excellence for socially relevant dance with a national reach and have a strong civic role to enhance the quality of life for residents and visitors to Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole.
PDSW Programme themes: Dancing in the Streets, Digital Dance, Children & Their Grown Ups
PDSW’s Digital questions:
How can we make all our Digital content accessible?
What is our Digital brand going to be?
How can we evoke the senses of our Digital audience?
Our Values: Kind; Inclusive; Inspiring and Passionate
You create Dance – based work.
We particularly encourage applications from people whose backgrounds and experience are underrepresented within the creative industries, including people who experience racism and d/Deaf and Disabled candidates
This is open to people working anywhere in the world. The project is English-speaking.CC and BSL can be made available for meetings.
- Shouldn’t be dependant on other funding to make it happen (at this stage)
- Can be undertaken over the next few months (we’re open to hearing about your timescales)
- Can happen under lockdown restrictions
What PDSW can provide:
- Financial support (circa £5k)
- Advice (Producing, Technical, Marketing)
- Studio Space in Bournemouth (if restrictions allow)
What you’d present:
- (Around) April 2021: Present your R&D findings / sharings to the PDSW team and we’ll take the conversation from there. This is likely to take place online so that we can see the digital content you’ve created through R&D.
- September 2021: You’ll present your findings / sharing at our ‘Children and their Grown Ups Showcase’ which runs 29 Sep – 3rd Oct 2021.
Our process and key dates:
- 12noon 19 February 2021: Deadline for applications
A panel will consider all applications and select two that most meet PDSW’s work as outlined above. The panel will have representation from the freelance community and from different perspectives. Two digital proposals that the panel think most align with PDSW’s work will be shortlisted.
- 24 February 2021: You’ll hear back about your application.All applicants will hear back and be offered feedback.
- 26 February 2021: Zoom Conversations with the shortlisted applicants(CC available, BSL on request)
- W/C 1st March 2021: One company will be announced as our R&D Digital Dance Company
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your application. Make sure you include:
- What is your vision for the work you want to create?
- Who are you? What works have you created before? Where are you based?
- How does the work you want to make fit with our interests and values?
- What will your R&D be?
- What is your timeline?
- What are the costs of the R&D? (break them down so it’s easy to see the whole budget)
- Who are you creating the work for?
- What do you want the audience to get from the work and how will you involve your audience in the R&D process?
- What could PDSW offer that would help you?
- Any questions / topics you’d like to talk about further
Your application can be written (an email or attached proposal of no more than 2 sides of A4), a voice memo, or a video (max 5 minutes)
Please title your email ‘Children and their Grown Ups Digital R&D’
This will belong to the artist or company and images/film of the work will only be used by PDSW for purposes related to this R&D or documentation of our programme.