Pavilion Dance Digital Commission – 2022
Published: Friday 14th Jan 2022
Deadline: Friday 11th February 2022, Noon
We are looking to commission a Digital Dance work for online audiences of up to £5000.
What is Pavilion Dance Digital?
This page lists key details only – please download the full commission information below.
We’re really interested in proposals that:
- Want to work with Pavilion Dance Digital to develop the work.
- Are new, and created specifically for online audiences (we’re open to age range)
- Are clear about who the audience is, how you want them to experience the work and why they’ll want to watch it
- Have a focus on accessibility. Whether that’s inventive audio descriptions, British Sign Language or other ways, you’ll have a real commitment to creating work that serves a wide audience
- Consider a sensory element – taste, touch, smell or feel
- You create professional Dance-based work.
- This is open to people working anywhere in the world. The project is English-speaking.
- You will have some previous experience in Digital work
- You will have a strong creative idea to pursue through this commission
- Shouldn’t be dependent on other funding to make it happen
- Will be presented to Pavilion Dance audiences in or before October 2022 in a Digital format
Access and lifting barriers
We’re committed to lifting barriers. We’ll talk about what you need to take part in the interview process, and then, if successful, the commission.
This might look like: Closed Captions, BSL, or a Support Worker in meetings.
This will not impact our decision making.
If your application is successful:
There is up to £1000 available (on top of the £5000) for access.
£500 can be assigned for your personal access costs, and £500 can go towards audience access for your commissioned work.
Pavilion Dance will provide in-person captions and BSL for the final presentation of the work – this will be discussed and agreed upon, depending on the format and frequency of the final presentation.
We can also signpost and support with an initial session on an Access to Work application if this is something you’d like to explore.
Timeline and process
- Launch of open call: 14th January 2022
- Deadline: 11th February 2022, noon
- Notification of interview selection / outcome: 16th February 2022
- Interviews: 2nd March 2022 (AM) over Zoom
- Notification of outcome: Latest 9th March 2022
The selection and interview panel will include:
- Lizzy Maries (Pavilion Dance Digital Producer)
- Zannah Chisholm (Pavilion Dance CEO / AD)
- Omari Carter (Independent panel member – Founder and Creative Director of the Motion Dance Collective)
All applicants will be offered feedback if they would like it.
We plan to hold our interview process remotely – this might be over Zoom or Phone call – we’ll discuss which format works best for you and what access options you’d like in place.
We’ll let you know what we’d like to talk about in advance.
If you’d like to have a 15min informal chat about this commission, please email Digital Producer Lizzy on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can set up a time. Lizzy works Wednesday – Friday.
Your application can be written (an email or attached proposal of no more than 2 sides of A4), a voice note, or a video (max 5 minutes)
Make sure you include your answers to each of the following criteria in your application :
- What is your vision for the work you want to create and how would audiences experience it?
- Who are you? What works have you created before? Where are you based?
- How does the work you want to make fit with our interests and values?
- An idea of your timeline and budget breakdown
- What would you look to Pavilion Dance Digital to provide?
- Any questions / topics you’d like to talk about further
Please also send links of up to 2 films/media of previous work.
Please title your email ‘Pavilion Dance Digital Commission’ and attach the Equal Opportunities form.
Email email@example.com with your application by 11th February 2022, noon.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (who works Wed – Fri)